How Will Switching to Oat M*lk Help the Planet?
'Dairy milk production takes place all around the world. Global demand for dairy continues to increase in large part due to population growth, rising incomes, urbanisation and westernisation of diets in countries such as China and India. With this increasing demand for dairy, there is growing pressure on natural resources, including freshwater and soil.' - WWF
Why is Dairy Milk Production Hurting the Planet?
- Dairy cows and their manure produce greenhouse gas emissions which contribute to climate change
- Poor handling of manure and fertilisers can degrade local water resources
- And unsustainable dairy farming and feed production can lead to the loss of ecologically important areas, such as prairies, wetlands, and forests
Why is Oat M*lk Better for the Planet?
- Oat milk has the lowest environmental impact in comparison to the other major plant-based milk alternatives available on the market (e.g. soy and almond), due to its low water requirement
- According to Swedish brand Oatly, the production of oat milk results in 80% lower greenhouse gases, 60% less energy and 80% less land usage in comparison to cow’s milk
Why Minor Figures Brand?
Minor Figures uses British Oats and is produced in Somerset. Unlike the other alternative milks, they aren’t trying to replicate dairy. Minor Figures Oat M*lk is naturally engineered to calibrate its performance perfectly when paired with coffee. It doesn’t split in the lightest roasts, and textures to the perfect micro-foam when steamed. Most of our focus is on creating a product which allows the coffee’s natural characteristics to be present in the cup. We have opted for a creamy but clean texture – in order to focus on each individual coffee’s fidelity and well balanced acidity.
Minor Figures have worked really hard to create a refill option of their Oat M*ilk and The Store is incredibly fortunate to be one of the places across the UK to be able to offer this.